Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Image result for one flew over the cuckoo's nest



I found this book at a booksale and thought to myself "I've heard of this book, I should read it." Well, little did I realize it was about a mental hospital and an unruly newcomer there. I had mixed feelings when I finished it. I liked the setting because I also work in a psych hospital, so I thought the setting was interesting. I liked the way McMurphy shook things up and tried to buck the system. On the other hand there is a great deal of violence and insinuation in the book that I felt uncomfortable with, particularly near the end. The thing that disturbed me was that I wanted some of that violence to happen because I was emotionally embroiled with the characters. Apparently the movie is a bit different. So perhaps that will be an interpretation I can live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment